Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What To Do When an Event Goes Bad

Recently, I was the storyteller at a charity event. It was a national event with hopes of hundreds of people showing up. First that did not happen. Mostly the attendance was made up of the vendors and their children. This leads to my role, I became the babysitter. Only two families visited the storytelling room that were not vendors; but the room was full most of the time with small, bored children. I left without selling one book after reading to children for three hours. My real goal of networking with the community did not happen, my name was misspelled on the advertisement flyer, and I did not even get a proper thank you from the parents I babysat for. I was down emotionally to say the least.

As a children's book author, there will be many times when an event will not be what you expected. Take stock of the situation and learn from it. Ask yourself, should I have attended the event to begin with? Was I the only Author there? Was I offered any compensation for my time and expenses? Did I fully understand my role? Would I do it again?

Now comes the part of what to do to lift your spirits when you are down from such an event. First, put the negative feelings in the past and don't dwell on them. Start thinking of more productive ways to spend your time in the future. Start the outline of another book, that will always cheer you up. Go to your on-line networking forum such as Facebook and send a gift to a friend. Read your e-mails which have stacked up from other author friends. Last but not least, remember the children that benefited from your time. After all, you are a children's book author.

Please enter your thoughts on this subject. They will be appreciated.

2 comments:

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

April

Ah me. This is all a learning experience.

In those circumstances, where you have a room all to your self, I think It might be wise to put up a sign that says "Children may not be left unattended." Another possability would be to bring along a family member to run interference. Of course that is all hindsight and you couldn't know in advance. Maybe next time you could ask your more specifics about the setup.

I had a similar experience at a school event. It's good practice.

The good news is we never know who we may have touched or reached without knowing it. Hang in there.

Shari Lyle-Soffe

CE Bilingual Books LLC said...

Thank you for telling us your story. My book is about to come out, and am still wondering if I should do an event. That seems to be the requirement. I don't enjoy being in the spotlight. Now that I read your story, maybe I can get away with not doing presentations... :)
Cheers,
Irene
www.cebilingualbooks.com